The Hylas 49 enjoys some of the finest lineage on the water with Sparkman & Stephens responsible for the design and Hylas for the construction. From a sailing standpoint the moderate lines, powerful masthead rig, and modest draft make this an excellent offshore option and practical for coastal cruising. Below decks, elegant joinery and thoughtful touches throughout have made the Hylas a favorite of cruisers world wide.
Ad Astra, hull number 34, is a two owner boat. She was delivered new to the Pacific Northwest in 2001 and has lived here ever since. Equipped for coastal cruising, she has taken the family to Desolation Sound yearly, and throughout the area, but has not ventured offshore. Relatively light use and constant professional maintenance make Ad Astra a great platform for coastal cruising, or if desired to equip for offshore voyaging.
- New LPU hull paint 2020
- Custom hull windows add light
- Hurricane hydronic heat (2020)
- Bow thruster
- 2000 hours on Yanmar diesel engine
- New starting and LiFePo4 house batteries in 2022
- In-mast furling
- Electric winches
- Kept on fresh water from new until spring 2022
In February of 2020 Ad Astra (formerly Stellar Blue) was sold to her current owners. They immediately began to update some of her systems for extended cruising. A new enclosure for the cockpit was built by local craftsman Jonathan Davis, new navigation electronics were installed and a complete Victron Energy LiFePO4 battery/monitoring/control systems were installed. This includes over 1200 Ah of house batteries and a second alternator. Many other upgrades were made through this process and the investment was well above $100K.
Unfortunately, those plans changed due to health concerns and now Ad Astra is back on the market. She is ready to cruise and hungry for her next adventures.
|Name of vessel||Ad Astra|
|Designer||Sparkman & Stephens|
|Location||Bainbridge Island, WA|
|Beam (feet)||14' 3"|
|Engine model||Yanmar 4JH3-HTE|
|Fuel tank capacity (gallons)||145|
|Water tank capacity (gallons)||250|
|Holding tank capacity (gallons)||25|
Ad Astra has a 3-cabin layout as well as a salon double berth and a single berth to starboard, sleeping up to seven people. She feels very roomy, with large overhead and custom hull windows. The blue Ultrasuede upholstery is in excellent condition, Corian countertops and off-white overhead panels provide a nice counterpoint to the warmth of her teak interior with teak and holly cabin sole. Ten opening ports, six opening hatches and four large Dorade vents provide great ventilation. There is LED lighting throughout.
Handholds are also found throughout. A new Hurricane hydronic heating system was installed in 2020.
Starting forward is the guest stateroom. There is a comfortable V-berth with infill, bookshelves and cabinets to port and starboard, and large hanging locker aft and to starboard. An upholstered dressing settee with locker below is inboard of the hanging locker. Drawers are located aft and to port with drawers and lockers below the infill section of the V-berth as well. There are two reading lights, overhead light, opening hatch, opening port and Dorade vent. Additional storage and some mechanical systems are located under the berth.
Aft and to starboard of the guest stateroom is the forward head which opens to both the guest stateroom and the passageway forward. The molded teak vanity has a sink set into the Corian countertop and storage cabinet below. Above the vanity are lockers with mirrored doors with an additional mirror on the door. Outboard, the head is a mechanical systems locker. The shower is integral and includes a handheld shower faucet and teak grate. most wall surfaces are finished in laminate for ease of cleaning. There are teak handholds and towel bar, an opening hatch and port, and overhead and mirror lights.
Opposite the head is a guest cabin with a Pullman berth and a pocket door. This bunk extends to enlarge and provides sizable guest accommodations. There is ample storage in 4 drawers under the bunk a cabinet with louvered door and bookshelf at the forward portion of the cabin. Overhead light and ventilation is delivered by two opening ports, overhead hatch, Dorade vent and Hella fan.
Next aft is the main salon just forward of the beautifully varnished companionway stairs. On the port side there is a solid teak dinette. The dinette has a slide out seat with storage below. While underway, this seat can easily slide under the table. The dinette drops down to create a full double berth. On the starboard side there is a full-length settee that also functions as a sea berth. The settee can be pulled out to make a wider berth. Additional storage is behind the dinette and settee. Cabinets and bookshelves are outboard. Headroom throughout the main salon is just under 6’7″. There is plenty of ventilation from two overhead hatches and Hella fans. There are both overhead and reading LED lights.
The galley is located along the starboard passageway to the aft cabin. The centerline, double stainless steel sink is situated in the counter that is aft of the companionway stairs between the navigation station and galley. The bulkhead aft of the sink has a cabinet with shallow shelves. The outboard side of the galley includes Grunert refrigeration with extra-large capacity and both front and top loading. There is a 3-burner Force Ten stove with pots and pan storage below and removable Corian top, and Sharp Carousel microwave oven. There is additional ample storage lockers and drawers for cutlery, cookware and food storage outboard the counter as well as a large trash locker that slides out from below the counter. The space is ventilated by three opening ports and a Hella fan.
Opposite the galley along the port passageway aft is the nav station. The chart table is forward facing with instruments mounted outboard of the table and electrical panel outboard the upholstered nav station bench. There are three drawers below the chart table that face inboard. The centerline counter that is aft of the companionway stairs will provide additional layout space for charts or planning resources and dedicated chart storage.
Next aft along the port passageway is the aft stateroom head. Wall surfaces are laminate with a molded teak vanity with inset sink and storage locker below as well as behind the head. There is a mirrored cabinet above the vanity, a Jabsco manual head with fold down cover, and teak shower grate and teak handholds. The shower is integral to the space. An opening port provides ventilation.
The aft stateroom is luxurious by any measure and will ensure Ad Astra’s owners the best in accommodations whether at sea or at anchor. There is a centerline queen sized berth. An upholstered dressing settee is to starboard of the berth. There is plenty of storage including a hanging closet, multiple drawers and storage cabinets. Two opening ports as well as shelves with cubbies below are located on the aft bulkhead affording a nice view from the berth to the surrounding seascape. There are two additional opening ports, a large opening hatch, two Dorade vents and two Hella fans. Overhead and reading lights are well placed.
Ad Astra’s interior makes excellent use of the space available below and has beautiful and well-preserved wood and joinery below, showing pride of ownership.
- Hurricane SCH25 hydronic heat (2020)
- Water heater tank heated by shore power, engine or Hurricane heater
- Teak interior wood and cabin sole – gloss finish on wood
- (8) Hella fans
- Halogen lights
- 3-burner force 10 stove/oven
- (2) holding tanks
- Force 10 3-burner stove with oven
- (2) 10.8 liter propane tanks
- Sharp Carousel microwave
- Jensen stereo
- Grunert Refrigeration
- (2) Jabsco heads
- (2) Sealand macerators
- Chelsea clock and barometer
- Ship’s bell
Hull and Deck
Ad Astra’s hull is, naturally, a gorgeous dark blue, and her 2020 LPU paint job glistens. The hull is constructed of hand laid fiberglass with vinylester resins with an Isophalic gel coat. All deck fittings and high stress areas have solid GRP fiberglass. The fully encapsulated fin keel is solid lead with 35mm stainless steel keel bolts with transverse mounted 8mm backing plates, and the rudder is fully skegged for optimal strength and protection, with the skeg extending slightly below the rudder. There is a watertight stern section across the aft lazarettes and a watertight collision bulkhead forward of the guest cabin with an independent overboard drain.
Pulpit and pushpit are stainless steel and there are double lifelines with gates port, starboard and aft with stainless steel ladder. There is a dual bow roller with stainless steel striker plate for deck protection forward and around the windlass. There are ten mooring cleats: four at the bow, two amidships, two aft and two forward of the side of the step to the center cockpit. teak grab rails are located on the forward and aft truck cabins. Six opening hatches, four Dorade vents, ten opening ports in the cabin sides, two opening ports in the transom and two opening ports in the cockpit provide excellent ventilation with large fixed windows to bring additional light into the main salon. Two large deck lazarettes are on the port and starboard aft deck.
There is a Lifesling and two horseshoe buoys. The reverse transom swim step has storage under the steps, an integral swim ladder and hot/cold pressure shower.
The center cockpit has an Iverson dodger with bimini and connector (and new side curtains 2022), all in excellent condition. On either side of the companionway are counters that can be used for chart layout with two small cubbies to each side. Additional cubbies are located in the aft coaming of the cockpit. The binnacle has a varnished teak cockpit table and drink holder and leather covered wheel. There is a 6” Ritchie compass.
- Windows in hull
- LPU hull paint (2020)
- (2) barrier coats (2020)
- Teak decks recaulked and lightly sanded 2020, inspected by PT Shipwrights Coop 2022
- Protective SS plating over foredeck a windlass forward saltwater wash down
- Dual stainless steel bow roller
- Maxwell 2200 vertical windlass.
- 44# Bruce anchor with 245’ 3/8ths high test chain
- 35# Danforth secondary anchor with 200’ 5/8” line and 20’ chain
- Anchor locker accessible through deck hatch
- Salt water washdown (2020)
- Watertight bulkhead forward
- Stainless steel bow pulpit
- Dual lifelines with gates at side decks and transom
- Stainless steel stern pulpit with gate and integrated fold down seats with teak bases
- (10) cleats on deck
- (6) opening hatches
- (10) opening portlights
- (4) polished chrome Dorade vents with stainless steel covers
- (2) Lewmar 58 self-tailing electric primary winches
- (1) Lewmar 48 self-tailing mainsheet winches
- (2) Lewmar 44 self-tailing winches at mast
- Varnished teak drop-leaf table with teak drink holders above Ritchie compass
- Iverson dodger and bimini, Jonathan Davis side curtains 2022
- Stern steps/swimming platform with integral storage locker and fold down boarding ladder
- Fresh water hot and cold shower/washdown on stern steps
- Twin lazarette lockers on aft deck
- (2) 1.8 liter propane tanks stored in lazarette midships starboard side.
Electronics and Navigation
- Full Garmin/FLIR upgrades 2022
- Garmin GPS MAP 8616xsv Multifunction Display at helm with FLIR
- Garmin Fantom 24 Dome Radar with MotionScope Technology
- Garmin Reactor Autopilot, GMN Rudder Sensor & Remote
- Garmin GC 200 IP Camera
- WatchMate XB 6000 AIS Transponder
- Garmin DST810 transducer
- FLIR M232 Pan & Tilt Thermal Camera
- FLIR Joystick JCU-3 Control Unit
- Garmin GNX Sail Pack 52 wind instruments
- Standard Horizon GX 2150 VHF
- Tankwatch 4 monitoring system
- Victron System installed 2022
- Victron Multiplus 12V/3000VA Inverter Charger
- Victron Cerbo GX Panels & Monitoring
- Victron GX 70 Touch Display
- Victron Lynx Smart BMS 500
- Victron Lynx Distributor 1000A
- Victron Orion-Tr Smart DC-DC Charger
- Victron 100/50 SmartSolar Controller (for future solar install)
- Lithium-Iron-Phosphate Smart Batteries (1200 amp/hr)
- Twin Alternator installation, a second Balmar 170 amp alternator was added with double belts and balancer for the increased house bank capacity
- Balmar MC 618 regulator (2022)
- 120-volt AC and 12-volt DC systems
- SmartPlug 30-amp shore power with cord
- Balmar 6-series 150 alternator
- Yanmar 4JH3TE diesel engine – 75HP 2000 hours
- Racor 500 FG fuel filter/water separator
- New shaft (2020)
- PSS dripless shaft seal (2020)
- MaxProp 3-blade feathering propeller
- Vetus Bow 80 bow thruster
- New exhaust system and water lift muffler installed 2022
Sails and Rigging
- Selden 2-spreader anodized aluminum mast
- Wire standing rigging with two backstays
- Selden In-mast furling
- New running rigging (2020)
- Intermediate removeable forestay
- Running backstays (wire – removed and in storage)
- Furlex headsail furling
- 135% Doyle furling genoa
- Mainsail Doyle
- Asymmetrical spinnaker in sock – Neil Pryde
- Storm jib – Doyle
Miscellaneous and Safety
- Xintex 2A fume detector
- Rule 2000 bilge pump
- Secondary electric bilge pump
- Manual bilge pump