PUFFIN is a nice example of the highly desirable Nordic Tug 32+. Many improvements over the original version of this design include island berth, Diamond Sea Glaze doors and ports, integral stern extension, and transom door. PUFFIN benefits from recent Garmin electronics and Achilles RIB with 15 hp electric start outboard engine. Espar diesel heat, bow and stern thrusters, electronic shifter, 2085 hours on the well-maintained Cummins 270 hp engine make this clean Nordic Tug 32 a great choice for Pacific Northwest cruising.
|Name of vessel||Puffin|
|Model||Nordic Tug 32|
|Engine model||Cummins 6BT5.9M1|
|Fuel tank capacity (gallons)||205|
|Water tank capacity (gallons)||100|
|Holding tank capacity (gallons)||30|
A companionway with hinged overhead hatch and door leads from the cockpit to the accommodations. This door may be enclosed by a mesh shade/bug screen allowing better ventilation. A threshold prevents water in the cockpit from entering the interior and three steps descend to the salon area.
This traditionally built and finished trawler is extremely robust, yet warm and inviting. The interior is beautifully finished in teak plywood and solid teak with solid wood used for drawers, locker doors and trim for durability. The cabin sides and overhead are vinyl trimmed with teak battens. The cabin sole is covered in gray carpet. All interior lighting is high quality fixtures fitted with warm LED bulbs.
The views and natural light are excellent in the salon thanks to six tall side windows and a sliding aft window. When desired, teak valence-concealed pleated blinds are lowered for privacy or shading. An L-shaped settee is located to starboard, with a fixed drop leaf table. Settee upholstery is gray Ultrasuede. There is storage forward of the settee and in a hanging locker aft, with flat screen TV mounted above.
The galley is configured with a J-shaped counter to port. There is a massive pantry and storage space at the forward end of the counter that also houses the microwave. Aft, the Corian counter with molded fiddles runs alongside the outboard edge of the salon. The two-burner stove, stainless undermount sink and front-loading refrigerator and freezer compartments are located here, along with drawers and lockers of various sizes. Above the aft end of the counter there is a locker with three shelves. There is a shallow shelf along the aft end of the galley, and an island countertop inboard with drawer and locker below. The aft window opens for ventilation.
The pilothouse is centrally located and affords 360-degree views through forward, side windows and two aft opening windows on either side of the faux smoke stack. The forward windows are vertical, visored, and fitted with motorized wiper and two defogger fans. Doors access the bow and the deck on each side. The helm is to starboard with gray Ultrasuede helm seat and co-pilot seat. There are fold down foot rests for both seats. The teak wheel, engine controls and electronics are close at hand. Flat surfaces on the dash to port and starboard function well as chart tables or additional storage space.
Four steps descend from the raised pilothouse to the stateroom located in the bow. This corridor is finished in white laminate with a teak grab rail to starboard and locker storage to port. A teak door leads to the stateroom with walk around “island” berth. A grab rail is built in to the foot of the berth. Two large drawers provide storage below and there are hanging lockers to port and starboard. Shelves run along the hull sides on both port and starboard. Two stainless reading lamps are mounted at the head of the berth. Circular portlights and an opening hatch with screen/shade provide ventilation and light.
The head/shower compartment is entered through a locking door to starboard in the corridor to the stateroom. This space is finished in white molded fiberglass surfaces with a minimal amount of wood for ease of maintenance. There is a shower area forward with a curtain that surrounds the space. A round opening port provides ventilation. A Vacuflush electric head is located inboard/aft with a countertop opposite along the hull side. There is a locker below and another sliding door locker above, with a mirror mounted at eye level. An additional full height mirror is located behind the door.
- Force Ten two burner propane stove/oven
- 20 lb aluminum propane tank
- Magic Chef microwave
- Nova Kool side by side front loading refrigerator and freezer
- Dometic Vacuflush electric flush toilet (rebuilt 2019)
- Espar D4 diesel forced air cabin heater
- Red Dot heater
- Built in AC electric heat
Electronics and Navigation
- Garmin GPSmap 7610XSV radar/chartplotter
- Garmin GPSmap 7610 radar/chartplotter
- Garmin GMI 20 multifunction display
- Garmin GMR18xHD radar antenna
- Garmin GPS19x GPS antenna
- Garmin AIS 600
- Raymarine ST6001 autopilot control head with hydraulic autopilot drive
- Sea Star hydraulic steering (pump replaced 2022)
- Icom IC-M502 VHF radio
- Rule Danforth compass
- Spotlight with remote
- Windshield wipers and defrost fans
- Weems and Plath clock and barometer
- Kelvin Bottomley & Baird Co clinometer
- Pioneer DEH 150MP AM/FM/CD stereo receiver
- (2) speakers in pilothouse
- (2) speakers in salon
- Vizio flat screen TV
Mechanical and plumbing systems
Engine access is through two removable hatches in the pilothouse sole. This machinery space has good access to either side of the engine and to auxiliary systems located outboard.
- Cummins 6BT 5.9M1 270hp diesel engine (2085 hours)
- Cummins control panel with tachometer, coolant temperature, oil pressure and voltmeter
- Twin Disc transmission with trolling valve
- PSS dripless shaft seal
- Morse electronic engine controls
- Marine Hardware bronze sea strainer for main engine
- Fireboy engine room fire extinguisher
- Dual Racor fuel filters with vacuum gauge at pilothouse
- Reverson built-in electric oil change pump for engine and transmission
- Side power bow and stern thrusters
- Tank Tender fuel and water tank level monitor
- Tank Watch 4 holding tank level monitor
- Kuuma 6 gallon stainless water heater
- Par Max+ fresh water pump
- Sea Land macerator pump
- (3) electric bilge pumps
- 120v AC and 12v DC electrical systems
- Blue Seas AC and DC electrical distribution panels with voltmeters and ammeters
- Emergency battery parallel switch
- Smartplug 30 amp shore power inlet and 50’ cord
- Marinco phone/TV inlet
- Link 10 battery monitor
- Heart inverter control panel/battery monitor
- Magnum Smart Battery Combiner
- Xantrex TrueCharge2 40 amp battery charger
- Freedom 20 2000 watt inverter/100 amp battery charger
- Powerline 120 amp alternator with Balmar external regulator
- (6) Interstate GC2 house batteries (675 total amp hours 2019)
- Centennial 4D engine start battery (2019)
- Full River Group 31 AGM stern thruster battery
Deck and hull
Puffin has an off white hull with black cove stripes and black antifouling paint. Paying homage to classic Pacific Northwest wood trawlers, the hull sides below the rub rails are grooved in a faux planking style. These hull sides are extremely well-protected from pilings and piers by black plastic half round capping on the deck edge and molded-in rub rails. The high bow is nearly plumb. Vertical black plastic staves provide protection from the anchor or pier face.
A wide raised bulwark wraps around the deck from the pilothouse doors forward. A stainless steel bow pulpit and teak handrails on the forward coach roof are fitted for safety. The deck and cabins are off white with non-skid on the side deck, cockpit and boat deck. Narrow side decks with non-skid run from cockpit forward outboard of the cabin.
The cockpit is adequate for lounging or fishing. High bulwarks topped with stainless steel handrails surround the cockpit. There are freeing ports to drain rain or seawater. A large hatch in the cockpit sole accesses steering gear and storage. The swim platform is integral to the stern, extending running length. The dinghy is stored vertically on a Sea Wise that lowers the outboard engine onto the dinghy’s transom as the boat is launched. A deck locker is forward to port in the cockpit with propane tank storage. A stainless-steel ladder forward/above this locker accesses the boat deck. With the dinghy stored on the swim platform, this large space is available for lounging. A railing around this deck provide security. A faux smokestack is forward. An aluminum mast is stayed with wire and can hinge down for mooring in a boathouse.
- Lofrans Tigress 1200 watt horizonal anchor windlass with chain gypsy and rope drum
- Windlass up/down foot controls and remote switch at helm station
- Stainless samson post a bow
- Rocna 20kg anchor
- ~200′ chain
- Anchor snubber
- Salt water washdown quick release fittings at bow and cockpit
- Hot/cold stern shower
- (6) stainless steel mooring cleats mounted on bulwark
- (2) 12v power outlets for downriggers in cockpit
- White mesh covers for pilothouse windows and doors (door covers double as screens from the inside)
- Diamond Seaglaze windows and doors
- Flagstaff and US ensign
- Achilles HB 310 X RIB dinghy (2018)
- Mercury 15hp four stroke EFI outboard engine (2018)
- Sea Wise dinghy davits (2018)
- Dinghy wheels
- Boat hook
- Stainless fender racks for 4 fenders
- Magma propane BBQ
[contact-form-7 id=”2506″ title=”Contact”]